Match Report: SPORTING 3-0 Marítimo

Sporting advanced into the semi-finals of the Taça de Portugal with a 3-0 win over Marítimo. André Carrillo opened the scoring before Ricky van Wolfswinkel scored after his second penalty kick of the night and Emiliano Insúa finishing it off.

With Elias suspended from the previous game Domingos Paciência chose to chose André Martins in his position. André Carrillo also started the game after Bruno Pereirinha started last time out against Académica.

Sporting were on the attack early on and André Martins had the first chance of the match but he shot over from close range. There will be worry for Sporting as minutes later Daniel Carriço went off injured after just 20 minutes meaning André Santos came on as his replacement.

Marítimo were a threat on the counter attack and Baba Diawara forced Rui Patrício into a smart save early on to the keep the scores level.

Two minutes afterwards and Stijn Schaars’ through-ball found Ricky van Wolfswinkel free in the area. His shot though was well saved by Marítimo goalkeeper Ricardo Ferreira. The rebound fell to André Martins who could only hit the bar.

Oguchi Onyewu had the best chance of the half as Stijn Schaars fed a chipped ball into his path but the American defender’s diving header went just wide.

André Martins was booked for diving in the area just before the break when replays showed that there was definitely a major shout for a penalty.

Shortly after the break and Sporting to the goal they needed when Diego Capel’s cross found André Carrillo drifting in from the right. The Peruvian hit an excellent header to put Sporting in the lead and score his first-ever Sporting goal.

Sporting were given a penalty after 55 minutes when Igor Rossi pulled back Ricky van Wolfswinkel as the Dutchman went through on goal, referee Artur Soares Dias had no choice but to send the Brazilian defender off. Ricky van Wolfswinkel stepped up to take the penalty but his shot could only hit the post and bounce out of danger.

Ricky van Wolfswinkel didn’t get much chance to dwell on the incident as minutes later Sporting got another penalty. This time João Guilherme took down André Carrillo in the area and van Wolfswinkel stepped up again. Despite of the efforts of Marítimo players to put van Wolfswinkel off this time he smashed the penalty into the same corner but the correct side of the post to put Sporting 2-0 ahead.

Marítimo didn’t give up though and Danilo Dias found himself through 1-on-1 with Rui Patrício. Danilo tried to go around the goalkeeper but Patrício did well to stand his ground and save the Marítimo man’s shot.

Emiliano Insúa rounded off the scoring on the 82nd minute when he shot at Ricardo Ferreira. Ricardo saved well but the rebound fell kindly to Insúa who had a simple header to finish the game off for Sporting.

That win avenges the defeat to Marítimo suffered earlier in the season and advancing into the semi-finals in which the possible opponents include Académica, Oliveirense or the winner of Nacional and Moreirense.

Sporting XI: Rui Patrício; João Pereira, Ânderson Polga (YC), Oguchi Onyewu, Emiliano Insúa (Scored 82′, YC); Daniel Carriço (André Santos 20′, YC), Stijn Schaars, André Martins (YC, Bruno Pereirinha 69′); André Carrillo (Scored 48′, Santiago Arias 84′), Diego Capel, Ricky van Wolfswinkel (Scored 60′)
Subs Not Used: Marcelo Boeck, Evaldo Fabiano, Valeri Bojinov, Diego Rubio


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s